Podcast Episode 106: Optimism and Creating Jolts of Joy
"When we feel a moment of hope, pride, love, serenity, gratitude, inspiration... we actually open up and quite literally. We broaden our peripheral vision and expand our brain."
In the 6th episode of our new weekly podcast series "How To Thrive," co-hosts Marie and Ellen explore the fifth "beam" of the BEACON model: Optimism.
To recap, the first four beams are: Belonging, Engagement, Accountability, and Compassion. They are discussed in detail in the past 4 episodes of season 11. In each episode, Marie and Ellen talk about the science behind each beam and key you in on how each of these can help you thrive as they share practical applications and real-life experiences.
In this exquisitely optimistic episode, Ellen and Marie talk about:
- How emotions impact our brain and therefore our behaviour
- Are some people more wired towards optimism than others?
- How we can rewire our brains for a more positive disposition
- How our brain is hardwired to broaden, build, and perform better with positive emotions
- The neurological benefits of optimism and why is it important to notice the moments that give us a jolt of joy
- Practical tips to increase your positive vs negative emotions ratio
Your quest for this week: Create a "joy jar" by putting in a list of things that can help uplift your mood. You can enlist the help of your family, friends, or co-workers in this quest. The more ideas there are, the more opportunities there are to experience and share positive moments.
Are You Ready to Fulfil Your Potential?
Download your FREE copy of ‘Creating Thriving, Motivated Teams: A How To Guide’ by entering your details below
Thanks for listening! If you've enjoyed this episode we'd love it if you would:
Join the Potential Psychology Podcast Facebook Group.
Email me and let me know what you're enjoying and whether there's any topics YOU would love to learn about.