Podcast Episode 096: How to Flourish Outside Your Comfort Zone with Dr. Diana Hill
"When you step out of your comfort zone, there's going to be a whole slew of thoughts that show up. There are going to be uncomfortable emotions that show up. Acceptance is our capacity to really get curious, open and allow and be willing for that to happen without getting bogged down or entangled in it." - Dr Diana Hill
In today's show we're getting curious about psychological flexibility - the skill of not getting sidetracked or bogged down when difficult thoughts, feelings and sensations arise.
Being human is hard. We're often outside of our comfort zone, whether that's dealing with a tough situation at work or home, challenging yourself to try something new or just dealing with everyday busy and overwhelm. Today's guest, Dr Diana Hill, talks us through the skill of acceptance - getting curious about life outside our comfort zone as the path to living, working and feeling at our best.
Join Diana and I as we explore:
- Acceptance and Commitment Training (ACT) and its benefits for work, performance, sports, parenting and flourishing as a human
- Psychological flexibility - what it is and how it's like a Rubiks Cube
- The skill of perspective-taking how we can use it to our advantage in the workplace
- Shifting your self-image to open yourself up to new capabilities and possibilities
- How to get off the roundabout of uncomfortable feelings
- A practical technique that can help us break down the stories we craft about ourselves that limit our psychological flexibility - Listen in as my psychological flexibility is tested!
Are You Ready to Fulfil Your Potential?
Download your FREE copy of ‘Creating Thriving, Motivated Teams: A How To Guide’ by entering your details below
Thanks for listening! If you've enjoyed this episode we'd love it if you would:
Join the Potential Psychology Podcast Facebook Group.
Email me and let me know what you're enjoying and whether there's any topics YOU would love to learn about.